Dragon Boat Fest With Jersey Seafood Boil Benefits Gilda’s Club
Time is running out to participate or reserve your boat for the most fun time of the summer, the Gilda’s Club South Jersey Dragon Boat Festival 2018, returning bigger and better this year, Saturday, July 14th from 8:30 AM-5 PM at Lake Lenape Park, Mays Landing.
New this year: a beer garden and a Jersey Seafood Boil!
Having been a part of the 2nd annual Gilda's Club South Jersey's Dragon Boat Festival last year with Lite Rock 96.9 WFPG, I can tell you that this event will be one of the highlights of your summer!
The origin of Dragon Boat Racing dates back over 2000 years to the Chinese legend of Qu Yuan, a 4th-century statesman, poet, and advisor to the king. Qu Yuan was exiled from the ancient state of Chu after his advice to the king was misinterpreted as an attempt to assume greater political power. For his offense, Qu Yuan was banished to a remote area of Hunan Province in southern China.
The dishonor of being exiled was a heavy burden on Qu Yuan. Under the weight of his sorrow, he threw himself into the torrents of the Milou River – but some local fishermen raced out onto the water to save the drowning Qu Yuan. The fishermen wildly beat their drums and splashed the water with their paddles to prevent the water dragons and fish from eating Qu Yuan.
The modern Dragon Boat Race is based upon a traditional re-enactment of the race to save Qu Yuan. Over the centuries, village fishing boats went out each year in a symbolic search, and began to take part in races that evolved into Dragon Boat Racing’s present form.
Please join us on July 14, 2018 for all the fun benefiting Gilda’s Club South Jersey.
At Gilda’s Club South Jersey, individuals and families are receiving the information, guidance, laughter, and most importantly, the support they need to live their lives with cancer, whatever the outcome, at no cost.
Now is the time to register. You may sign up to be be an individual paddler for as little as $85, or register with a few friends or reserve your own dragon boat.
A dragon boat team must have a minimum 20 paddlers plus a drummer. It is highly recommended that at least 8 paddlers be female, in boat, not including the drummer.
Who, What, When, Where, Why
- Saturday, July 14th from 8:30 AM-5 PM at Lake Lenape Park
- The festival proceeds benefit Gilda’s Club South Jersey.
- Absolutely no experience is necessary to participate.
- Excellent Corporate Team Building day or school outing!
- Individual paddlers welcome
- Team composition: Recommended 21 participants per team (with 3 substitutes highly recommended), minimum of 8 female paddlers in the boat for every race and the minimum age is 12.
- In addition to race day, teams will receive one practice session the week of the Festival
More information about types of teams/boats when you click Register!
Prizes will be awarded for:
- Team Spirit (songs, cheers, dances, etc.)
- Best Team Costumes
- Best Decorated Tent
- Top Fundraising Team
- Top Fundraising Individual
- Medals to the winners of each of the Championship Divisions