Carbon monoxide poisoning is responsible for the death of one Camden resident and critically injuring another.

According to 6 ABC, EMS crews and Camden firefighters responded to an emergency call early Saturday morning at a residence on the 1500 block of Lewis Street.

Get our free mobile app

Firefighters were called after EMS crews were alerted to carbon monoxide being present in the house. Firefighters pulled the two victims from the residence with one being pronounced dead at the scene. The other victim is in critical condition and was transported to Cooper University Hospital.

Officials say that carbon monoxide poisonings is possibly being linked to a faulty heater in the house.

Carbon monoxide or CO is an odorless and colorless gas than can kill you. More than 400 people die each year, especially during the winter, due to carbon monoxide poisonings

The dangerous and warning signs of carbon monoxide poisoning according to the CDC are almost flu-like symptoms including, headaches, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain and confusion. Breathing in a lot of carbon monoxide can be fatal.

I always make sure that the batteries are fresh in my carbon monoxide detectors. You should have at least one detector on each floor of your home or by a sleeping area.

Here are some important tips on how you can prevent CO poisonings in your home:

  • Replace your CO detector every 5 years
  • Have your heating system, water heater or gas oil or coal burning appliances checked by a technician every year.
  • Make sure your gas appliances are vented properly
  • Have your chimney checked and cleaned every year.
  • Never use a generator inside your home.

source: cdc.gov 6abc.com

LOOK: Famous Historic Homes in Every State