Junked Brigantine Hoverboard Starts Fire in Trash Truck
The Atlantic County Utilities Authority (ACUA) would like you to know that when you no longer want that hoverboard you got for Christmas a few years ago, you should not throw it away in the trash.
That's what happened this week in Brigantine, causing a fire in the ACUA's collection truck. A hoverboard, like any electronic, is never supposed to be disposed of with your normal, household trash. Hoverboards can be especially dangerous, with many of their lithium-ion batteries having been recalled because of fire hazards.
Luckily, the men operating the trash truck smelled the smoke from the hoverboard and called the Brigantine Fire Company to put out the fire.
Here is the ACUA' s Facebook page statement about the proper way to dispose of a hoverboard...