Absecon Chicken BBQ, Dragon Boats, Mt. Carmel Fest – WEEKEND HAPPENINGS
Ladies and gentlemen, Paddles Up!
The second annual Gilda’s Club South Jersey Dragon Boat Festival 2017 happens from 8:30a-5p this Saturday, July 15 at Lake Lenape Park in Mays Landing.
Having been a part of Gilda’s Club South Jersey’s first Dragon Boat Festival last year, I can tell you that this will be one of the most fun and memorable days of your summer!
I am happy to be back as host of the Dragon Boat festival again this year, and a proud member of the Townsquare Media Disco Dragons Team. We Rock! (I hope)
Join us to watch men and women in more than 35 Dragon Boat teams competing to be the fastest, best decorated, most spirited and most creatively dressed of the day.
A little background may be in order. Modern Dragon Boat racing is based upon on a Chinese tradition over 2000 years old. A dragon boat team must have a minimum 20 paddlers plus a drummer. Men and women compete side by side and they bring it..or, try too.
The day benefits one of my favorite South Jersey organizations, Gilda’s Club South Jersey, where individuals and families receive the information, guidance, laughter, and most importantly, the support they need to live their lives with cancer, whatever the outcome, at no cost.
Saturday's festivities will include lots of food, vendors, and entertainment and, of course all the dragon Boat action out on beautiful Lake Lenape. It is free to come watch and support your favorite Dragon Boaters. I hope to see you there!
Here are more South Jersey Weekend Happenings, brought to you by Shore Medical Center, healthcare at its best!
- Borgata: Nelson, Fri. 7/14
- Boardwalk Hall: Kidz Bop, Sat. 7/15
- Resorts: Former American Idol contestant Lauren Alaina, Fri. 7/14
- Steel Pier: Simon Cowell's latest boy band discovery, PRETTYMUCH, Fri. 7/14
- Dante Hall: Graham Fenton: South Jersey native, Star of "Jersey Boys", Fri-Sat. 7/14/15
- Ocean View Room at The Claridge Hotel: The Chicken Bone Beach Historical Foundation's Jazz Festival presents the Nat Adderley, Jr. Trio, Fri. 7/14
- Boardwalk: The Atlantic City Caribbean Carnival and Parade, Sat-Sun 7/15-16
- Tropicana: Fireworks by Grucci, 10p Sat. 7/15
- Borgata: Jim Gaffigan, Sat. 7/15
- Borgata: Jill Scott, Sun. 7/16
Here are more fun things to do this weekend in South Jersey
- Somers Point: Shore Medical Center presents a Farmers Market and Craft Fair, 4-8p Fri. 7/14
- Hammonton: The 142nd annual Mt. Carmel Festival, America's longest running Italian festival, continues thru Sun 7/16, 3rd and French streets
- Smithville: Classic Car Cruise, 5-8p Fri/ 7/14
- Somers Point: Summer Concerts on the Beach Series presents Roomful of Blues, Fri. 7/14, William Morrow Beach, Bay Ave.
- Cape May: Music in the Park Concert Series presents Doctors of Rhythm, Fri. 7/14, Rotary Park Bandstand, 400 Lafayette Ave.
- Cold Spring Village: 13th annual Celtic Festival, Sat-Sun. 7/15-16
- Wildwood: Boogie Board Races, 10a Sat. 7/15, boys and girls 5-17-yrs old, bring own board, 15th St. Beach, 609-522-2955
- -Stone Harbor: 17th annual Blueberry Festival, 6:30-8:30p Sat. 7/15, entertainment, ice cream and lots of blueberries,Our Savior Lutheran Church, 289 92nd St, 609-368-3013
- Wildwood: Boardwalk Craft Show, Boardwalk @ Rio Grande Ave, Sat-Sun 7/15-16
- North Wildwood: Concert Under the Stars Series, Lou Booth Amphitheater, 2nd & Ocean Ave, 609-522-7722
- Absecon: 41st annual St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Chicken Barbecue, 1-6p Sun. 7/16 , 603 New Jersey Ave. Each meal includes a half chicken, (350 lbs) potato salad, Jersey corn, Jersey tomatoes and onions, soda, wine and beer, 609-601-5193
- Ocean City: Ocean City Pops United Service Organization Concert, 8p Sun 7/16, Music Pier
Here are even more south Jersey Weekend Happenings, brought to you jerseyfamilyfun.com