The Philly Christmas Village Takes the Holidays to the Next Level
There are plenty of amazing local Christmas celebrations and activities at the Jersey Shore, but there's a Philadelphia attraction that captures Christmas in a big way.
Christmas Village in Philadelphia transforms LOVE Park at 15th and JFK Boulevard into a traditional, open-air German Christmas Market. Returning for its 12th season, Christmas Village will open from Thanksgiving Day and will run through Christmas Eve.
It's at the Philadelphia Christmas Village that you'll find the city's largest holiday attraction, a 27-foot-tall walk-through holiday gift box called The Present.
While you shop, follow the sweet scent of gingerbread and fresh-made waffles to the full menu of European food, sweets and drinks, including mouthwatering German Bratwurst or Schnitzel served on a roll (Brötchen). The huge outdoor grill hut will be back again for the third time, giving spectators an up-close view of the sausages firing up in front of their eyes! This time around, look for Käsespätzle (soft cheese egg noodles freshly made in a huge cast-iron pan, decorated with onions) and different draft beers, including exclusive creations of local Fairmount Avenue based Brewery Techne. Also, enjoy special menu additions, like Döner Kebab, Belgian Fries, and try a mug of traditional German Glühwein (spiced mulled wine served hot) and rich hot chocolate. The talk of the town - and one of the market’s most popular dishes - is also back for the third year: Look for the Swiss Raclette cheese booth to return with its critically acclaimed swiss melted cheese. Philadelphia Inquirer food critic Craig Laban said, “The force of molten mountain is strong. Add cornichons, scallions & dijon on crusty bread and you may have the greatest Alpine sandwich ever.”
Here's what to look forward to at this year's Christmas Village in Philadelphia:
- Enjoy hot drinks and a delicious Bratwurst in the cozy outdoor seating area called “The Alm”, which will feature a brand new light installation in 2019.
- Take part in exclusive Wine Tasting Events in partnership with Chaddsford Winery or raise a glass at the weekly Beer Tasting Events with Brewery Techne.
- Meet the original Christkind from Nuremberg/Germany when she visits the market for the traditional Christkind Ceremony on December 1, 2019.
- Crowds’ favorite vendors such as Käthe Wohlfahrt and the Raclette Hut are excited to come back while new vendors e.g local New Liberty Distillery, Really Reel Ginger and RD Shadez will enrich the market for the first time.
- Don’t miss Germany’s favorite tradition in form of St. Nikolaus Day on December 6, 2019, and the German American Weekend on December 14th and 15th with German Dance Groups and a lantern parade.
- Grab your friends and swing by our HoHo Happy Hour! Take advantage of discounted food, drinks and in a relaxed after work atmosphere.
Dates and hours:
Preview Weekend: November 23 and 24, 2019
First Day: November 28, 2019
Last Day: December 24, 2019
Hours: Sunday - Thursday: 11:00am - 7:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 11:00am - 8:00pm
Thanksgiving Day: 9:00am - 5:00pm
Christmas Eve: 11:00am - 5:00pm?
LOVE Park, 1500 Arch Street, Philadelphia, PA 19102