Winter Driving Tips for Snowy Weather [VIDEO]
Looks like we could get socked with a foot of snow in South Jersey… The best advice for driving in the snow is to stay home and don’t drive at all. If you are on the road, particularly this afternoon and tonight please use caution and follow these safe driving tips.
- Drive slowly. Give yourself plenty of extra time to get where you’re going safely.
- Don’t tailgate… The normal dry pavement following distance of three to four seconds should be increased to eight to ten seconds. You will have more room to maneuver safely if you have to stop.
- Know your brakes. Keep the heel of your foot on the floor and use the ball of your foot to apply firm, steady pressure on the brake pedal.
- Accelerate and decelerate slowly. Don’t try to get moving in a hurry. Take time to slow down for a stoplight.
- .Don’t power up hills.. Try to get a little momentum going before you reach the hill . As you reach the top of the hill, reduce your speed and proceed down hill as slowly as possible
- Don’t stop going up a hill.
- If you must drive in snowy conditions, make sure your car is prepared, and that you know how to handle road conditions. Remove all snow and ice from your vehicle. Keep supplies in your car.
- Of course the best advice is to stay hone and stay off the raod