Weekend Happenings: Boxing, Birding & All Things Halloween, Scary or Safe
One of the casualties of Super-storm Sandy was much of the traditional Halloween merrymaking and trick or treating. With Halloween less than two days later, many towns postponed or cancelled their trick or treating last year because of the storm’s impact, and let’s face it, it’s just not as much fun walking up to a house for a candy bar while the people who live there are busy throwing all their wet possessions out on the front lawn.
A much better situation awaits this weekend in South Jersey, with nice, fall weather expected and many fun ways on tap for all to enjoy the Hallowed season, be they absolutely frightful or relatively tame.
We have a special Halloween Happenings page with many attractions listed and you’ll see a few additional ideas below.
Let me personally invite you and the kids to Lite Rock’s Safe Trick or Treating, Sunday, October 27th from 11a-1p at Birch Grove Park in Northfield. It’s a great family event and I hope to see you there!
Here’s a look at some of the many other cool ways to spend your weekend.
- Concerts, shows and appearances:
- House of Blues at Showboat: Hoobastank (free concert), Fri. 10/25
- Revel: John Legend, Fri. 10/25
- Trump Taj Mahal: Greg Allman, Sat. 10/26
- Revel: Larry the Cable Guy, Sat. 10/26
- Resorts: “Catskills on Broadway” stand-up comedy show, Sat. 10/26
- House of Blues at Showboat: screening of “Rocky Horror Picture Show” with a live “shadow cast”, Sat. 10/26
- Borgata: Amy Schumer (comic), Music Box, Sat. 10/26
- Boardwalk Hall boxing: The ageless Bernard Hopkins, age 48, defends his Light Heavyweight Championship against Karo Murat, Sat. 10/26
- Stockton PAC, Galloway: Bay-Atlantic Symphony plays Brahms and Tchaikovsky, Sun. 10/27 @2pm
- Margate: Margate Players present “You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown”, Thurs-Sat. 10/24-26, Margate PAC.
- Galloway: Folk Singer Peter Mayer, Sat. 10/26, Unitarian Congregation of South jersey Shore
Other fun weekend stuff:
- Cape May: The N.J. Audubon Society’s 67th annual Autumn Birding Festival, Fri-Sun 10/25-27, Convention Hall and various outdoor locations
- Absecon: Marine Corps League’s 28th annual pancake breakfast, sat. 10/26 from 7-noon, American Legion Post, 609289-1159
- Egg Harbor township: Morgenweck Family Benefit, Sat. 10/26 6p-9p, Scullville Fire Co., 609-927-0029
- Egg Harbor Township: “Make a difference Day” at the Community Foodbank of NJ. Southern Branch, Sat. 10/26 8a-2p
- Tuckerton: Haunted Seaport, Fri-Sat. 10/25-26
- Mays Landing: Ghost Walk, Fri. 10/25 6:60-8:30p, Fellowship Hall of Presbyterian Church, 6001 Main St., 609-625-2937
- Atlantic City: Absecon Lighthouse hosts haunted tours, Sat. 10/26
- Smithville: Halloween Pet Parade, Sat. 10/26 @ 1pm
- Wildwood: Annual Halloween Parade, Fri. 10/25 @ 6:15p, followed by Fun Fair at the Convention Center
- Linwood: Gilda’s Club South Jersey annual “Noogiefest Halloween Celebration”, 6-8pm at Clubhouse, 700 New Road, Linwood, 609-926-2699
- Ventnor: Annual Halloween Parade, Sat. 10/26 @noon , 609-457-8107