Talkin’ Turkey: This Year’s Cost of Thanksgiving Dinner
Next week is Thanksgiving and many cooks are already putting together their menu and ordering the bird! According to the American Farm Bureau Federation's annual survey, turkey dinner... and all the fixings will cost $49.48, or just 28 cents more than in 2011.
Do you think we would stop eating Thanksgiving dinner if the cost went up by a couple of bucks? Not me!
The turkey itself seems to be the reason for most of the increase, as you'll see in this item-by-item breakdown of the typical Thanksgiving meal. Typing the list has made me hungry!
- The relish tray of carrots & celery - Cost : 76 cents, holding steady from last year
- Turkey - Cost : $1.39 per pound or 4 cents more than last year. A 16 pound turkey is $22.23
- Homemade stuffing - Cost : $2.77, down 11 cents from last year
- Sweet potatoes - Cost : $3.15 for 3 lbs., down 11 cents from last year
- Green peas - Cost : $1.66 for 1 lb., down 2 cents from last year
- Cranberries - Cost : $2.45, 3 cents less than last year
- Rolls - Cost : $2.33 for a dozen brown & serve rolls, up 3 cents from last year
- Pumpkin pie - Cost : $5.53, down 2 cents from last year.