Cruisin’ With the Stars: Ten Upcoming Rock ‘n’ Roll Concert Cruises
The rock star cruise isn’t a new phenomenon, but it sure seems like they are gaining in popularity. Here’s the idea…instead of signing up for a cruise to the Bahamas or the Galapagos Islands with your weird Uncle Norman and the family, or with a boat-load of non-musical strangers, you can book passage to watch your favorite rockers hit their high C’s, while hitting the high seas.
But as you read through the list of possible rock cruises, ask yourself if you really want to be stuck on a boat in the ocean with some of these bands. For instance, do you really want to be out at sea with the guys from Kiss, or…. think about this one, their fans?
I wonder how even the band Kiss feel about being far away from dry land on a ship full of Kiss fans? You may want to consider this long and hard before you say bon voyage.
With that said, and with thanks to Yahoo.com, here’s a list of ten upcoming rock ‘n roll cruises…
1. The Kiss Kruise III–Dates: Oct. 28-Nov. 1, 2013–Rates: From $1,000/person
Fans set sail on a four-night cruise (Miami to Key West to the Bahamas) aboard the Norwegian Pearl. The Kiss Kruise III comes headlined by Kiss for a Halloween cruise that includes full-blown concerts to “un-masked” acoustic deck shows to band-hosted onboard activities and group Q&A sessions. Plus, expect extras like a Kiss-themed vow renewal ceremony and theme nights, all capped off by a Kiss look-a-like costume contest on Halloween night.
2. Rombello –Dates: Nov. 1-5, 2013–Rates: From $500/person—The Rombello music festival at sea is scheduled to feature live bands, including Michael Franti & Spearhead, G. Love & Special Sauce, State Radio, and more. Activities will include games like a live-music-led game of “boozical chairs” (booze-fueled musical chairs), and activities like a “silent disco,” where club-goers groove to the beat with headphones.
3. Lynyrd Skynyrd’s Simple Man Cruise–Dates: Oct. 20-24, 2013–Rates: From $700/person–Set sail from Miami this fall for a four-night cruise hosted by Lynyrd Skynyrd. You’ll hear sets from Skynyrd, Molly Hatchet, The Outlaws, Los Lonely Boys, and more.
4. Matchbox Twenty Cruise–Dates: Dec. 6-9, 2013–Rates: From $849/person–A three-night cruise to Nassau, Bahamas, from Miami, aboard the Carnival Imagination. Cruise-goers will get to hang with Matchbox Twenty and the Goo Goo Dolls, who will give live concerts, special Q&A sessions, photo ops, deck parties, and more.
5. The Weezer Cruise–Dates: Feb. 13-17, 2014–Rates: From $899/person—The four-night festival-style sailing from Jacksonville to the Bahamas will be hosted by Weezer and feature other artists, including Cat Power, Toro Y Moi, The Cribs, and more. Expect plenty of onboard concerts (plus a private beach concert), and other opportunities to mingle with the musicians with Q&A sessions, interactive game shows, artist-led events (yoga, karaoke, and more), photo ops, and more.
6. Concerts at Sea Rock n Roll Cruise–Dates: Jan. 18-25, 2014–Rates: From $1,199/person–This classic rock cruise includes headliners Paul Revere and The Raiders, The Cowsills, BJ Thomas, Mary Wilson of the Supremes, and Charlie Thomas’ Drifters. Concerts will be paired with meet-and-greets, Q&A and autograph sessions, hosted cocktail parties, a sock hop dance, and more.
7. The Rock Boat XIV–Dates: Feb. 22-26, 2014–Rates: From $650/person—”The Rock Boat” is described as a “summer camp for adults.” It will feature performers like Sister Hazel, Collective Soul, Alternate Routes, Bronze Radio Return, and more. Gearing up to deliver non-stop music at sea, plus a private beach party with even more live tunes ashore, cruise-goers are guaranteed maximized music for their money.
8. The Monsters of Rock Cruise–Dates: March 29-April 2, 2014–Rates: From $1,099/person—The Miami to the Bahamas cruise includes four nights of hard rock on the high seas with hard rock and heavy metal bands from the ‘80s and beyond. Bands include Tesla, Ratt, Cinderella, Slaughter, and many more.
9. Kid Rock’s 5th Annual Chillin’ the Most Cruise–Dates: March 3-7, 2014–Rates: Sold out; waiting list only—This will be the fifth annual Kid Rock concert at sea. Along with rockin’ onboard concerts, a private island will be transformed into a “Redneck Paradise,” complete with a beer-and-bikinis-fueled beach party. Kid Rock’s lineup will be announced soon.
10. Cruise to the Edge–Dates: April 7-12, 2014–Rates: TBA—This five-night cruise sails off from Miami, stops at Roatán, Honduras, and Cozumel, Mexico. The lineup of veteran artists has been announced, with acts like Yes, Steve Hackett, Queensryche, and more on the roster.