Careful, Dirty Dancers! Doctors Warn of Christmas “Gangnam Style” Dance Injuries
As hard as I find believing this is true, doctors are warning people to be careful with their dancing this holiday season. It seems that… people are being even more daring on the dance floor than before.
The doctors issue the warning after news that a dad of three died while dancing to Psy’s song “Gangnam Style”
The docs have even come up with a list of some of the most common dance related injuries. Again, I am not making this up, although I wish I was that creative. I think I may have experienced Hip Hop Hip at last year’s Lite Rock Christmas party.
Here are some of the common injuries:
1. Tango tendonitis - generally affects the Achilles tendons and knees, caused by repetitive up and down movements
2. Conga calf - usually suffered by groups of people after over exuberant twists and turns whilst hanging on to each other
3. Rumba Lumbar - localized pain in the lower back caused by jerky pelvic rotations
4. Hip Hop hip - a recent phenomenon experienced by aging street dancers
5. Ankle twist and shout - mainly caused by killer heels – can also happen when stepping off the curb on the way home
6. Salsa sprain - affect all muscle groups, generally caused by dancing all night long.